Monday, January 7, 2008

Bathroom Conversation

Finley is not shy and loves to talk to people. It provides me with plenty of entertainment. At church, Finley needed to wash her hands, so I took the opportunity to go to the bathroom. She decided to strike up a conversation with the lady at the sink next to hers.

F: Hi!

L: Hi!

F: How old are you?

L: I'm really old. I'm 31. ('What do you mean, old?!?' I think to myself...)

F: Oh.

L: Are those stamps on your arms?

F: No. They are tatoos.


Speaking of speaking... Those of you that know me (and especially those of you who don't know me well), know that I'm not a big talker. So how in the world is a naturally reticent mother supposed to deal with such a talker of a 3 year old? Chris took Finley on an errand the other day, and said that she never quit talking the whole time they were in the van. Of course, that didn't surprise me. I was just thankful for the moment of peace and quiet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we know where YOUR reticent to talk comes from....and it isn't from your ma....:)

Al said...

Some days Nate just hangs his head and sighs... then looks at me and says something like: "It is just too much talking. How do we make him stop?"

My parents politely talk about Isaac's 'sanguine disposition' rather than just outrightly saying that the kid talks too much.

My friend Cheryl brought her son to Isaac's preschool yesterday to observe and see if it was a place she wanted Linus to attend. She had all sorts of things to report about Isaac's continual commentary during the morning at school.

I know where he gets it - half of our families on both sides are motor-mouths... I just can't believe how much less I have to say the older I get.

I feel your pain.