Monday, June 10, 2013

Back Deck

Every once in a while, we run into some one we haven't talked to for a while. Inevitably we are asked, "Have you finished your house?" At which point I am tempted to fall to the floor in maniacal laughter.

Aside from laundry and housecleaning and food and trying to keep the kids busy enough so that they aren't sitting in front of the T.V. for the majority of their summer break, I've been trying to do what I can on the house. I did plant a garden, and the grass is growing nicely alongside the tomatoes and patchy row of green beans. But at this point, I would rather be living in the new house than have a pristine vegetable garden. And since I don't really want to get all wrapped up mentally in Chris's electrical plans, I figured I could start working on the necessary back deck.

We had the basic plan figured out last year, so we reviewed our plans, then one day last week while Chris was at work, I had Joe help me measure out locations, and I started digging holes for the footings. Each footing needs to be at least 12x12x8, and a foot below grade. My brother, Mike, wondered why I didn't use the post hole digger on the tractor. For one, I probably would have needed help. Two, this way, I was able to shovel the dirt into a wheelbarrow and have clean working space when I was done. And three, it didn't occur to me.


After I finished, I was pretty anxious for Chris to buy the lumber for the framing of the deck. But first we need to replace the board under the sliding glass door with siding. (When you haven't done something before, you usually do some things wrong). Then I realized if we just put up the framing and not the railing, the 4x4 posts will probably twist. If we put it up, it all needs to go up at once. A complete list of materials needs to be figured up. And we need to pour the footings. I wonder if I could do that myself...

No comments: