Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It [almost] rained on our parade.

I took the kids to the Veterans Day Parade in Nashville today. I happened to hear on the radio that they were closing down Broadway for the parade, so I decided last minute that we would go see it after story time at the library. I wondered if it would be hard to find a spot on the sidewalk clear enough for the kids to see, but unfortunately, we had plenty of room.

It was cloudy, chilly, and a bit sprinkley. I was worried it might start raining, as I had neglected to bring umbrellas. Thankfully, the rain held off until we were safely back in the van.


When a big police truck came by at the head of the parade and blasted the siren, the kids weren't so sure they were going to like the parade. But then came one of the military bands, and a Humvee drove by with some one throwing candy toward the onlookers. The candy landed in the middle of the street. When I told Finley she could go get some, she stood frozen on the curb. It took her a while to realize that that I was actually encouraging her to run out into the the street. When I led Joe out into the street, he was too enamored by the passing parade to think to pick any up.


A huge propellered airplane flew overhead. A large pack of vets rode by on their Harleys, pipes rumbling, U.S. and POW/MIA flags flowing.

I was a little confused by some of the parade. The parade organizers drove by in the heated comfort of their cars, a magnet on the car door letting us know who they were. The Shriners showed up in full force, along with clowns in funny vehicles. Some of their floats cranked ear-piercing music, and my children stood, hands clamped to their ears. I don't know if the Shriners were there because they were veterans, or if they just like to crash any parade they can. I guess just being a Shriner is being a sort of veteran...


After most of the Shriners passed, I decided it was time to head back. Zivah hung limp in the baby carrier, our regular lunch hour was passing by, and there was a long walk back to the van. Next year, we'll be a little more prepared.


Now Finley is wishing a parade would go down our street. Apparently she doesn't think she has enough candy.


Thanks to all of you that have served... especially Jeff and Shane who have served in this current conflict.

No comments: