Thursday, May 6, 2010

Midweek Update

There has been so much that has happened since I sat down to write a real post, that it is hard to know where to begin. Chris has been hesitant to let me blog about any of the house-selling /property-buying details for fear that they might stumble upon my blog. So to try to ease his fear, I did some Google searches and could only find that I was a Goodreads subscriber. thankfully none of those drunk, college videos popped up. (Just kidding, Mom.)

Anyway. We have a buyer for the house. It wasn't long after I started praying that we would find a buyer that loved the house and that would feel blessed by it (instead of praying that it would just sell) that we got the offer. Actually, we got three offers. The first offer (and the offer that we accepted) came from the same couple that Chris showed the house to when they showed up late. They seem really nice, and after doing some investigative work, I really think they will be good neighbors to our neighbors. Even after I worried a bit that the flood might scare them away after getting a little water in our basement, they are still on board and apparently excited about the place.

Speaking of the flood... Our neighbors started seeing water in their basement Sunday morning. The ground was already saturated from Saturday's rain, and with the heavy rain Sunday morning, it started pouring into their basement. Chris went over to help try to Shop-Vac it out, but it was soon apparent they were losing the battle. Chris came over to check our basement, then went back over to help move furniture up. Finally, I noticed a little water along the back edge of our storage area. Chris came back over, and I started vacuuming it up while he started getting things up off the floor. I noticed a puddle in the middle of the floor, so vacuumed it up, only to see it was back a few minutes later. It took me a minute to realize the water was seeping up through the mortar joints in the floor.

Let me stop here to say something about my husband. He tends to be a 'Debbie Downer' at times. Always anticipating the worst. Sometimes this brings me down. But I have to admit, it does come in handy. The man is always prepared to take action.

It wasn't long before all our basement furniture was upstairs. By this point, there was an inch or two of water on the floor in spots. (Our neighbors, by this point, had at least a foot.) This is when I started my intense Shop-Vac operation. Sitting right outside the basement door with an umbrella over Elias (the vacuum) and my bum in a puddle of water, I vacuumed for four hours. The water never got any higher, and there was only one spot where the water was high enough to get soaked up into the drywall. Several of our neighbors had three feet. We were so very fortunate.

More on the property we want to buy later...

1 comment:

Ambra said...

Wendy that is amazing. I'm so glad your hard work payed off, and thankful with you that it wasn't worse! Looking forward to hearing about your new home. :-)