Saturday, October 29, 2011

I haven't been posting much lately (if you hadn't noticed). With good reason, I suppose. I haven't wanted to sound cranky. But I am. So I am afraid that whatever I might write here today will sound a bit negative, possibly whiny. You have been warned.

It's a fairly nice day today, and in spite of the fact that neither Chris nor I really feel well (some or all of us have been under the weather for the entire month of October), he is out there caulking the side of the house. I didn't really want to help him; but because we couldn't get the tractor running (we think the battery we bought for it doesn't have enough cranking amps), I gave it a shot. I lasted for about 20 minutes. Aside from the fact that I was really getting frustrated with all the little caulk boogers that refused to wipe off, the sun was shining on my back, and it made me feel really sleepy. So I came inside. I told him I might be up for it tomorrow. We'll see.

Yesterday, since there was a freeze warning for the night, I actually went out to the garden to harvest some of the fluffy bib lettuce that has been growing there. I had also pulled up most of the radishes I planted back in late September. They were beautiful and perfectly round and thin skinned. I have yet to eat any, but maybe I'll have salad tonight, and if the tarp holds off the frost, I can make the most of that lettuce in the next week or two.

This morning, I suddenly felt really tired of this trailer. I had been trying to reorganize the playroom earlier in the week and swap out summer for winter clothes, and had generally left a trail of bins and messes all though the place. The groceries are packed on a couple of shelves and in a barely-adequate refrigerator, and to get whatever it is you want, you have to move a half dozen other things and be careful not to knock anything off the shelves. Little frustrations start to add up. Really, I could be really happy in the trailer if the kids just had one small toy apiece and all we ate was oatmeal and sandwiches. But I guess that's not quite realistic, so I'll have to be satisfied with getting rid of random toys while the kids are at school, and maybe find a way to work another cabinet into the kitchen to alleviated the food storage stress.  ... Maybe I should get back out there and keep caulking.

No comments: