Monday, July 9, 2012

Remelted Crayons, Etc.

It's been a while since I posted anything. Chris took the week off work, so we were busy, although I can't say that we got a whole lot accomplished. We were planning on working on the chicken plucker, but when I tried to pull the first finger through a hole in the barrel, the barrel started to crack. I guess two years out in the sun made the plastic brittle. We need to get a new barrel, I think.

The 4th was spent mostly indoors due to the heat, but we did take the kids to see the local fireworks show at night. Not bad for a small town.

Thursday, we took the kids swimming at the pool. Out of the three, Zivah was the most fearless. As soon as she realized that the arm floaties would hold her head above water, she took off dog-paddling all along the edge of the pool. Finley and Joe paddled around the pool, too, holding tightly to their doughnut floaties, panicking whenever water splashed into their faces. I need to get them some swimming lessons.

Saturday, Finley made these flowers. I like how each flower is different.

It appears I have been suffering from allergies this season and have been hacking up snot, dripping from the nose randomly, and not sleeping very well. So while I should be outside weeding the garden, I am staying inside today to make good on at least one of the projects I have committed to.

So, today, we remelted some crayon stubs. Finley has wanted to make some more, since she really like the effect of a marbled crayon on her drawings. I have seen other people use muffin tins and silicon forms to make these, but since I don't have silicone and prefer to make things rather than clean, I opted to make the forms out of tinfoil. I sprayed them down with cooking spray so that the crayons would release easily from the foil. I melted them in our toaster oven set at 250 degrees. I forgot to put a sheet of foil down in the pan, so I did have some minor cleanup, but nothing horrendous.

 And here is the finished product.

No comments: