Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Back to the Grind

The two weeks of kids and husband off from school and work are over. Two weeks without having to wake up to an alarm, and now we are all in a bit of shock. I used to be able to sleep through Chris's 5 a.m. alarm, but can't anymore. I doze back out just before my alarm goes off at 6:30. Oh, well. The kids, who all got into the habit of staying up late in spite of my protests (Daddy kept sabotaging my attempts to get them to bed at a reasonable time), are rather difficult to get up and moving. I literally had to dress Joe on Tuesday.

On the flip side, I have my mornings back. After the kids are dropped off at school, Zivah wanders off to find something to do, and I have time to myself. I do not miss the hour or two of Good Morning America or the Today show that Chris insisted on watching every morning while he was off. (I swear, it was like having another woman in the house. I mean, really... Do other men actually watch those shows? One afternoon I came home from running errands to find him watching Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil!)

This is not to say that Chris was lazy during his time off. Not by any means. He got a lot of plumbing done on the house. On one of his trips to Home Depot (or Lowe's- I can't remember) he ran across some clearance items and bought $500 worth of plumbing fixtures for just over $100. That was exciting. Having all the faucets for the bathrooms and kitchen makes it feel like this thing really is possible. Some days it feels like we'll be in this trailer until the day we die, but I have hope again.

Today, my mom came over and helped me hang the recessed lights in the kitchen and living room. Of course, it nearly drove me crazy trying to get the lights perfectly spaced. It is impossible. Just when you think you have it, a ceiling joist is right where a light needs to go. So it's not perfect. But no one will notice. (If you do, please don't tell me. It might just send me over the edge.)

No comments: