Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Book Review

I finished reading the Mother Teresa biography (written by Kathryn Spink)I borrowed from the library. I have to admit, I almost cried at the end when she died.


In the process, I also found some criticism of her and the Missionaries of Charity on the web. I suppose I shouldn't have been shocked by the fact that any existed.

Regardless, I have to share what most impressed me about MT...

She lived in intimacy with Jesus.

Because of that intimacy, she was able to have an unwaivering faith. She was able to trust that the Lord would provide for whatever it was he had asked her to do. There were countless stories of how things were provided and ways paved for her in miraculous ways. God's hand was even in how she obtained the approval from the Vatican to start the Missionaries of Charity.

Because of her intimacy with Jesus, she wasn't interested in what the world thought. She knew what God had asked her to do and how to do it, so any criticism outside the authority of the church fell on a deaf ear. [A speech she gave at the invitation of then-president Clinton was largely against abortion. The head table didn't applaud her. I don't think she knew the term 'politically correct.']

She was able to love without reservation or bias because she believed she was loving Jesus by loving the unwanted and unloved.

Anyway, it was humbling. And motivating.

So today at the library I picked up a new book to read:

Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit

No comments: