Thursday, September 4, 2008

One Z Is Not Enough... I need ZZZZZ's.

Zivah is not like my other babies. By this point, my other babies were happily sleeping through most of the night, waking me for only one feeding to tie them over until morning. Zivah likes to get me up at least twice, and this, coupled with my other two early birds, makes for great lack of sleep on my part.

It is apparent to me that Chris does not quite comprehend how this lack of sleep has altered my five senses.

What he hears: Nothing.
What I hear: A baby starting to fuss, which will soon turn into full-on crying if I don't get up out of my comfortable bed and do something about it.

What he sees: A nicely made bed.
What I see: No chance for any more peace and quiet, much less, sleep.

What he tastes: Coffee.
What I taste: The elixir of life... that thing that keeps me from falling over dead in the morning.

What he smells: New baby.
What I smell: Thankfully, no spit up or poo.

What he thinks I feel: His loving arms wrapping around my body.
What I feel: Yet another person entering my personal space and tapping my physical and emotional energy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written, and what mother can't identify with you?!
Is there help!!?..."Come unto Me,all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Even in this Jesus offers what's needed!
Love, Ma

Anonymous said...

And also, from Psalms I think, "he gently leads those with young".

Sleep deprivation seems to be the worst kind of cruelty. You need sleep to be a good mom, but kids interupt our sleep! I hope you find creative ways to get some extra rest.

Ambra said...

Oh... how entirely true. Hope you are getting a bit more sleep now!!