Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Daydreaming

Lately, I've been daydreaming.

The probability of finding the perfect old farm in the country for the price we would want to pay is probably slim to none. More likely is a fairly raw piece of property on which we plop a trailer if it doesn't already have one. And then we build.

So I've been daydreaming about what it is we could build. I've been making a list of all the features our new house would have.

One of the first things on my list is a large greenhouse/sun room on the south side of the house. A room in which I could bask in the warm sun during the winter and where I could leave my house plants in one place all year long.

A one car garage off the kitchen will make carrying groceries in convenient and running through the rain a non-issue.

There will be a wood stove or two.

I'm envisioning built-in bookshelves and curious nooks and crannies.

Next, the master bath will have two sinks so that I won't have to a) peer through Chris's toothpaste splatter or b) clean his toothpaste splatter all the time. (Not that I do now.)

The kids will have built in loft beds. Chris and I would, too, but I'm afraid we wouldn't have the energy to climb up into it after a long day's work in the gardens. At least we can build a frame out of 2x4's so that the bed doesn't move when he turns over at night.

There will be a urinal for Chris and Joe. Hopefully that will limit the amount of drippage needed to be cleaned off the bathroom floors.

A separate building out back will have convenient access to all my gardening supplies, and there will be a second story with large windows for the art studio (if the art room is not in the house) .

I want a tower. One where I can climb up and see the lightning in the sky no matter what direction it is in. I also would like a small shelter on top of a hill in which I could camp dry and snug in the middle of a downpour.

The kids (and I) will have a killer tree house/fort to which a very fast and long zip line will be attached.

The house will have lots of windows that let in lots of light and a sink next to the washing machine.

And I can't forget the porch...

1 comment:

anissa matthews said...

this is a beautiful dream. i got pulled in and believe it. i think it will be. yay!