Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Update 10/26

For those of you wondering, the pigeon is gone. We saw it for the last time last Monday or Tuesday. This was right after Finley named it 'Sarah'. Perhaps it didn't like the name. Chris was incredibly disappointed when it didn't come back. He keeps talking about it. He might need therapy.

In other news, Chris painted our back porch this weekend...
and Jane was moved into her new, larger hutch that we found on craigslist for a really good price. I also built a little hide-away for her like the ones I saw at a pet store but could not imagine paying $20 for.
Last night, we had another little driveway campfire. The kids didn't bother to really toast the marshmallows, as you can see.

That got me thinking about going on a 'real' camping trip with them. I had visions of me trekking through the woods with the pack, Finley and Joe running ahead, stopping every now and again to soak in the beauty of nature. Surely the three of us could fit in a two man tent. But then I got stuck. They don't have nice, lightweight, 20 degree sleeping bags. If we do go camping, I guess we'd have to settle for one of those close-to-the-parking-lot sort of places. Oh, well.

Joe woke up from a nap the other day and wandered into the kitchen. "Mom?" he said in his still-groggy voice.
"Yeah?" I answered.
"I love you, but, Mom?"
"Yeah?"
"Where's Fin?"

Being a mother to a son like Joe is very funny to me. I am here for him to hug and kiss on. Dad is here for him to wrestle and beat on. Joe was so desperate to help us this weekend, that Chris outfitted him with my old DeWalt 12 volt drill. He carries it around like a machine gun. He helped me screw Jane's hide-away together, but still wanted to drill something, so we let him 'drill' holes in an old piece of drywall.

Finley is in that stage where she automatically puts -ed on the end of all verbs to make them past tense. I can't wait until she gets the hang of irregular verbs. My mom sent a few bags of craft popsicle sticks to us a few weeks ago. This has kept Finley very busy gluing them together. I would take a picture of one of her creations, but the camera battery is dead. To her dismay, she ran out of glue this morning. We may need to make an emergency trip the the store.

Thursday, I take Zivah in to get another x-ray of her hips. I'm hoping things will look okay. She's been babbling a lot, but still not many recognizable words. Figured out how to say 'ball'. I think she's tried to say 'Joe'. My favorite, though, is when she sees you for the first time in a while, lights up, and says 'hi!' in her sweet, airy voice. She has mastered the stairs, and I'm quite thankful that she is one of those cautious, sensible toddlers. Once at the top of the stairs, she always crawls forward until she is a safe distance away before she sits down and approaches the top with caution before turning around to back down.

I had better stop rambling at get to the laundry. (groan)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading all these updates...the porch sure looks nice, and Jane seems content.
I'd suggest waiting a while before embarking on the camping trip...unless, of course, it brings you all to Montana!....:)