Thursday, December 17, 2009

Quilt Block

I have a series of paintings that I've stalled on, a picnic blanket (made out of old jeans) that I haven't finished, and who knows what else waiting in the corners for completion. So what have I done? I've started another project. Since painting by myself at night isn't much fun but spending time with Chris while working on the quilt is (sort of) feasible, coupled with the fact that Finley's feet are almost to the end of her toddler bed... They are all good excuses to start something new. I just hope I finish this before spring.

Being quite the amateur quilt-maker, I've already made a mistake or two. I found this pattern online, and since it didn't give me cutting dimensions, I had to figure it out on my own. My triangle squares turned out smaller than I calculated, so I'm worried that, left alone, some of the seams will pull apart at soon as the fabric edges start to fray. I'm hoping some extra stitching will keep the fraying in check.

I also didn't have as many receiving blankets as I thought, so I'm hoping I can find some flannel in the right colors at the store. I can already tell, I'm going to need some encouragement to see this project to completion.

No comments: