Monday, January 25, 2010

In Preparation...

If I was still in my twenties with no children, change and adventure would be a lot easier. These days, it takes a little more preparation.

We spent the weekend preparing to put the house on the market. Yes, I know. We've been doing that for at least two years. But the realtor is coming on Saturday, and we will make it official.

I have been changing my habits over the past several weeks in preparation for the house to be on the market. I don't want to have a heart attack when a realtor says they want to the show the house in a half hour. I started making the bed every morning. I started making the kids' beds every morning. I started putting bedtime books back on their shelves when I make the beds. I started washing the breakfast dishes right away, then drying them and putting them away. We've stopped cramming bills and other mail behind the cookie jar on the counter. I'm becoming more consistent telling the kids to put toys away when they are done playing with them... Changing habits is not easy. It is easier if you do it one little habit at a time.


I've been preparing the kids. Finley told me the other day she doesn't want to move to a stinky and cracked house. I told her that most likely our new house won't be as nice as this one, but we will either build a new one or make that one as nice as this one.

I've been preparing myself mentally for 'the worst'. When I was seventeen, I spent three months with YWAM, taking daily cold showers to avoid the log jam at the one hot shower available to the 18 others living in our little dorm-house. Back then it was mildly unpleasant, but adventurous and exhilarating. Today, I am so spoiled, the thought of a cold shower prompts whining. But I am telling myself that if the house sells and we have to live in something not as comfortable as we have now, it will be adventurous and exhilarating.

No comments: