Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Weekend Update and Other Ramblings 1/12

Finley and Joe got to go sledding this year. On Saturday (was it?), I loaded them into the van, drove around the corner to the church that backs up against our property where there is a tolerable hill, found the one spot where they could slide all the way down (with the help of a good push) with the amount of snow we had, and let them enjoy thrill of 'sledding'. They still have no idea, though... I remember the year we got a good amount of snow ('02) and took Reanna to the State Capitol (didn't I pick the right spelling?) where there is a killer hill. She was terrified. Somehow, after this weekend, I don't think Finley and Joe would have much of a problem flinging themselves down that one... Chris tore into the bathtub plumbing as I didn't think an old, leaky faucet would help sell the place. No, it isn't finished yet. He has some tile work and minor plumbing to do yet.
Reanna is now 14. (Happy Birthday!......) In one year, she can get a learner's permit.
Z tried her hand at the spoon. She wouldn't let me feed her, so I had to hand it over. Less of a mess than I expected.
Otherwise, we have runny noses and coughs. I can feel some pressure/pain in my left ear. Hate that.

I've been buying local raw, unfiltered honey from the Co-op. They were out of the 5 lb. jug I normally get, so I called the local supplier. Found out they sell some from their honey farm, so went to buy some. I had an idea in my head of what the place would look like. Nice pasture, orderly white boxes where the honey is kept. Thought I'd ask them if they ever give tours when the weather is warm... Didn't expect the haphazard pallets of hive boxes and rows of empty metal drums, or the grey, weathered house tucked back in the trees, the plywood box nailed to the house with several shelves of honey and a little wooden box with a padlock in which to deposit the money. Some friendly but ghostly guy slipped out of a side (plywood) door with a complimentary calendar, told me to holler if I needed anything, then disappeared. Knocked on the door to ask if they could give change, but apparently not loudly enough. Joe held tight to my finger, wary of the roaming roosters, worried they would get in the van and wake Z. Decided to buy what I could and leave the minimal change... Very funny.
Raises new questions in my mind about honey production (especially since I don't know much). I think they get pollen from somewhere for the bees. There was a jar of pollen for sale in the box. It's not like there was farm land or orchards for the bees to feed from.
Life is strange.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love having time to read a few blogs, checking yours, and finding something new. I like the way you think and write and the stuff you write about. And I think of the things you say a lot.