Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Weekend Update

Friday, we drove out to see a property I had been obsessing about. It has been on the market for quite a while, and the price had dropped from 140k to 99k. They were marketing it as a 'hunter's paradise' with 30 acres of woods, close proximity to a lake, and an old rustic cabin. I was dreaming about the place at night and waking in the wee hours thinking about it. I was losing sleep and needed to get it out of my head. So we went to see it. The drive off the interstate took us on winding back roads where the gullies were littered with trash the locals were too busy to take to a dump. The 'neighborhood' was an confused mix of little brick homes and trailers. A road finally turned into the driveway of the property in question, and everything looked smaller and more cramped than the photos had promised. Across the road was the nice view of the neighbor's truck collection. I am no longer obsessing.

Saturday, we had two showings, so we took the kids out for doughnuts. I didn't realize how expensive they were these days. We need to get a better game plan on for weekend showings. Every time, we end up spending money on something to keep us occupied.

Sunday we drove out see a property Chris was interested in. It was a foreclosure that I was sure wouldn't last on the market long enough for us to buy. The drive was pleasant, the 'neighborhood' nicer and more consistent, probably due to the fact that this was quality land. There were hay fields, a few corn fields, and lots of cattle. Of course, that threw me into a rather dark mood, as I looked out at the calves nursing and could only think of the tortured lives they would live on some feed lot in just a few months. There were people looking at the property when we got there. We came away realizing that there really isn't any sense looking until we have a buyer, and that we really don't want to be that far away from Nashville.

Sunday afternoon, I sat at Mike and Jenny's and soaked up some sun while the Fin and Joe played with the cousins. Sunday evening, a 50th birthday party for a good friend that ended in Z screaming and crying at the top of her lungs because I was tired of walking with her up and down the stairs... Ah, the tantrum phase.

Monday, I spent exercising my weeding muscles and working on my farmer's tan. We are going to the beach this summer, and I plan on looking as ridiculous as possible in my bathing suit. Chris weeded the garden and found a brocolli sprout that had survived the winter, so he replanted it in a more appropriate place. I have seedings started in our neighbor's makeshift greenhouse: some lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, and herbs. I can't bear the thought of doing nothing, so if it looks like the house isn't selling anytime soon, I will have something to plant. If it does sell, at least I'll have a start for the new garden.

So much for the outdoor fun. Rain is slated for the rest of the week.

No comments: