Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's Growing On?

I don't think I ever posted a picture of the coop with plants on top... Well, here it is. You can't see it very well in this photo, but the dianthi (?) are blooming! I might actually get an iris bloom soon as well. (I am still planning to put more up there, as it looks a little sparse.)

It occurred to me that when the original farmers on this land built the barn, they must have cut down most of the oak trees on the property to do it. I don't think there are any sizable oaks on our property, though there are a few on the neighbor's land along side the driveway. So last fall, I gathered some acorns and stored them in the fridge for the winter. I planted them in a couple pots sometime in March, hardly expecting any of them to germinate. So far I have four little saplings I plan to put in the ground somewhere soon! Then I just need to make sure Chris doesn't mow them over.

I have most of the garden planted: Lettuce, beets, radishes, carrots, onion, chard, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and beans. What I am most excited about are my peas! I have tried growing peas a few times, and haven't had much luck. But these are thriving. This picture was taken a week ago, and I think they are about twice as high, now. If I manage to eat one fresh pod from these vines, I will call this growing season a success.

No comments: