Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Well. It's been an exciting week. Sunday, GrandDad took Chris's grandmother and us to see Cars 2. The kids were thrilled. Sunday afternoon, I spent some time bush hogging until the water pump on the tractor broke, which sent the fan into the radiator, knocking a hole in the radiator. Not good. I'm hoping we can find someone to fix the radiator, because those thing are not cheap.

Monday, the 4th, we went down to Lewisburg to see the parade. I don't remember the last time I was with my mother at a parade, but it sure was funny. She would wave her little flag, smile enthusiastically, shout 'Woohoo for the fire department!' or what have you then complain to me under her breath 'I hate when they turn their sirens on during the parade' ... all the while still waving her flag and smiling. The kids racked up on candy, and I joked that next year, we ought to have our own float so that we could give the candy away. Mom got really excited about the possibility of having a Funny Farm float and told Molly that we should do it next year 'before [she] die[s]'. Whatever, Mom. It might be fun, but I don't know that I'd want to wave at all those people.

Later, we took the kids over to the neighbors' to explore their sinkholes and 'caves', then let them play in the pool. Then it was over to Mom and Dad's for a cookout. My brother, per my request, brought a bowl of summer beet soup that made my day... but that wasn't enough. He also brought some of his famous home-made ice cream, flavored with molasses. Amazing. Then the fireworks. My brothers had bought a ton of fireworks on discount a while back, and I'm sure our show was the envy of the neighborhood.

I also pulled out the can-and-firecracker trick my dad had taught us when I was a kid. Poke a hole in the bottom of a tin can, preferably with a Craftsman philip's head screw driver as it is the perfect size for Black Cat firecrackers. Then get a larger container and fill it with water so that the can will sit down in the water, bottom side up with enough air above the water in the can so that the firecracker won't get wet. Push a firecracker into the hole until the top is flush with the can. Then light... The can shoots up into the air. (See pic.) I am always amazed the first time how high that can will shoot up. It's a good way to combine a little physics lesson with the fun of the 4th.



In spite of the fact that the kids didn't get to bed until after 10 that night, they were up the next morning about the regular time, which made for an interesting (read emotionally-charged) day...
In order to escape from the grumpy kids a bit, I cleaned out the chicken coop, turned the compost, and cleaned up a few other things around the yard.



Today is a little calmer. So I figured it was high time to harvest some carrots.

This picture I took in between rain showers. All together, I have a gallon-bag full of carrots. I see some more roasted veggies in our future.


No comments: