Thursday, March 29, 2012

Random

I am learning things out here on the farm. For one, turkeys (well, wild turkeys, at least) do not fan their feathers or gobble in the fall. They do this in the spring during the mating season. Another thing I am learning: a wild rose is the combination of two four-letter words. They might look quaint and pretty (for the day or two they bloom),  growing on the fence line... But when it comes time to clear them off the fence? Boy howdy. Feelings can change.

In other news, Fin and Z are sick. I thought that after Joe recovered from his bug last week, we were in the clear, but I guess not.

Last night Z was running a temp of 104 and was a little shaky. After giving her some medicine and sitting with her for a while, Chris asked her, "Are your hands still shaky?" Z replied, "Yes. See?" and lifted her hand up and shook it. Even feeling badly, she likes to joke around.

Yesterday, I overheard her caution Chris on his way out the door to work: "Be careful not to push the hammer on your finger!"

And one night, she was camped out on the couch and the other kids were in bed. She got up and told us that she was "going to check on the kids." What, does she think she's 30?

Back to the farm, the ducks are getting big, and the chicks are getting brave. I am hesitant to let them out of the stable, though, since I've seen several hawks around lately. I don't really want to give them an easy meal.

I planted potatoes yesterday, and although my tomatoes aren't very big, and the official frost date is still two weeks away, I'm tempted to put them out as well.

This morning, I climbed up on top of the chicken coop to plant some sedum and creeping thyme my mother so graciously bought for me. There are a few spots the soil is thin, and I need to get some more up there. It is also apparent some of the plants I put up there last year can't take it. The iris is getting ready to bloom, though, so I think I'll eventually put some dwarf varieties up there.

No comments: