Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chicks and Trailer Life

This is Gimpy.

He has a bum leg.
 I am surprised that Gimpy is still alive. At first, I wondered if we should just put him out of his misery, but we decided to give him a shot at life (for a while at least. If I get that plucker built, well...). He used to get picked on by all the other chicks, but I haven't noticed them doing it lately. He still remains smaller than the others (notice him to the far right in the photo below) but I'm impressed at his determination. He is getting pretty good at standing on one leg. And, no, I don't really know if he is actually a 'he', it just feels right. Anyway, here is a picture of them all huddled in the corner like scared, little chickens. Oh, right. They are scared little chickens.
 The chicks' feathers are starting to grow out, they are getting bigger, and they are getting harder to catch, so the fun of having chicks is starting to wear off. But Chris has been wanting some ducklings, and will probably stop at Tractor Supply on his way home, so there might be some more cuteness in the near future.

Now, for a change of topic, I will introduce you to some of the joys of trailer life. If you know what you are living in is destined for the scrap heap, it gives you the freedom to do things you wouldn't normally. Like putting flaming duct tape down on your linoleum. I was tired of tripping over the edges of this old patch job, and when Chris saw this duct tape, he was adamant about getting it. Personally, I felt camouflage would have blended in a little better, but this works.
In our house in Nashville, it was definitely not okay to put stickers on the walls. Here, we feel free to do so. I think these two complement the old wall paper and cardboard-and-duct-tape-patch-job. They also feel appropriate due to the dominant farmer/blue collar demographic in our area. Other random wall spaces have been decorated with Spiderman stickers Joe got from school.
 A few of the things I will not miss? This is the bathroom door against a wall of our bedroom. (The camera does not quite do them justice. The bathroom is a bit more orange in real life, and the bedroom actually looks like the door color in the photo.) I very much dislike these colors, but don't want to waste the time, energy, and expense to repaint.
 And I love to have clean windows. There is nothing like a good, clear view out of a nice window. But I can't get to the upper glass between the window and storm window without removing an entire window. Things like this will make me appreciate the new house all the more...

No comments: