Monday, June 18, 2012

Morning Harvest

The beet harvest was long overdue, and the potatoes were on their way out, so, this morning, Finley and I went to the garden to reap what I had sown. I only kept a handful of beets as most of them were too large. We ended up with a substantial sack of potatoes, and I am trying to figure out where to store them. As we don't have a root cellar or cool basement, my options are 1. the pump house (although I'm not sure how cool it stays in there) or 2. deep down in the neighbor's sink hole (would critters get to them?).

 The green beans took me by surprise. I thought I had checked to see if I had any a day or two ago and didn't see any, but obviously, I wasn't looking hard enough. Sneaky ones, those beans are. As we were picking beans, Finley kept telling me we needed to sell them at a farmer's market because we had too many and could make money off them. I told her that we could can them, and that would save us money on the grocery bill, but she wasn't going for it. Obviously, she's not very excited about eating the veggies we are growing.

The weird award of the day goes to this potato.

1 comment:

Kohana said...

I've been without internet for awhile, and sitting here, in the midwinter garden doldrums, I decided to see what is coming out of your garden. Glad I did! My mouth is watering just looking at those beets!