Monday, October 1, 2012

Our First Butchering

Well, we did it.
 
Big Papi was the first to go. Below is a picture of Big Papi, beheaded, scalded, and encountering the plucker. He looked much less formidable with his feathers off, although he was not nearly as scrawny as some of the other birds we did in. The plucker did an okay job, though it started slipping toward the end.
 Chris did most of the killing and plucking, while my mom and I took care of the rest. I was glad no one was there to watch, as my chicken-butchering skills are lacking. It didn't help that our knives weren't very sharp. I guess the little sharpeners you buy at the store don't do the best job.
In the next day or two, I'm going to stew and can the meat. For next time, I plan on having raised some actual meat birds, the barrel plucker built, and a set of really good knives.

No comments: