Thursday, April 11, 2013

The calves are still alive.
 Mopey is still not doing well, though, and Meat-Head apparently picked up a slight cough, so I returned to the vet yesterday for some different antibiotics. Let's hope the medicine works this time. After last weeks' experience, I have quit giving shots, and we had our neighbor come over to help administer them. He (gently enough) throws the calves to the ground and pins them down so that Chris has a still animal to work on. So much easier.

At least the calves are eating well, downing their bottles as fast as they can suck and eating grain and bits of grass. It's a good thing I'm not a mama cow, though, because I would not take kindly to the way calves nose-knock their milk-dispensers. One hit in my udder like that, and I would probably kick the blasted calf. One of our first feedings, a calf knocked the bottle right out of my hands. Because of that, I had been hesitant to let the kids feed the calves. But the girls begged, so I let them try.
They managed it like pros. I was especially impressed by Zivah. She held her ground and bottle tight, and didn't seem to mind getting pushed around one bit.
I have to laugh at Finley. We've been letting the calves out into the little paddock behind the stable, and when it's time to put them up at night, Finley keeps telling us that she know how to do it. "All you need to do is put a halter on them and lead them into the stable!" Once I know the calves are healthy and could handle the stress, I might just have to let her try it.
 
 With the advent of nice weather, I wanted to get some work done in the garden before it rained again. Last week, Chris noticed a weld had broken on the tiller, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem. As soon as I started wheeling it out of the shop, the wheels started spreading apart. I needed a quick fix, so I clamped the wheels down in a vice, and strapped on a bunch of tip ties. I honestly thought as soon as I re-attached the wheels and put pressure on them, the ties would just snap. But I am glad to say I was wrong and managed to till the entire garden without a problem.
 Yesterday, I planted potatoes, and today Z and I planted onions, green beans, radishes, beets, and lettuce. This afternoon, a storm is expected to water it all in.

 Last weekend, Chris built stub-outs for the plumbing and got most of them installed. Although most of what I've read says that hammer-arrestors aren't necessary when using pex (since the flexible plastic won't knock like rigid pipe), we decided to put them in anyway as it is easier on the fixtures.
This weekend, I hope to get rolling on some electrical.

Last for today, but not least, here is a lovely picture of Zivah, who took it upon herself to stamp Joe's name on her forehead.

No comments: