Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wrinkles

I didn't understand Joan Rivers until just a moment ago. She's an old lady with a fake face. I couldn't quite remember how old she was, and I was curious. A Google search revealed that she is almost 80. And as I was staring at her pictures, wondering why she insists on keeping the wrinkles pulled out of her visage, I saw the answer. I found it in the title of her book: I Hate Everyone...Starting with Me. Well. That explains it. We alter our bodies and put on facades to cover up our imperfections and hide the things we don't like about ourselves.

I did something daring the other day. I get comments all the time that I look younger than I am. But the truth is, it's just because I'm shorter than the average middle-schooler, and most of the time you're not close enough to really see my developing wrinkles. So I took an up-close photograph of myself and posted it online for all to see. Here, I'll show you.

I've been telling myself that I don't mind the wrinkles. It's all about perspective, really, the way that you see. Sure, smooth, young skin is beautiful, but isn't the texture of an aged face just as beautiful? Isn't it sad to see society stretching the character out of its faces?

I have an affinity for crow's feet. They tell of years of laughter and squinting in the sun. But I have to honest. There are a few wrinkles I've thought I would like to erase. Those vertical lines that start just between my eyebrows? Those are the lines that you draw to show someone is stern or frustrated. My temper is not something I like about myself. I hope as I grow older, I am learning to control it a little better. Is that all those lines say?

Then someone commented on my photo, "Your forehead wrinkles spell pi." Yes, they do! And if that isn't the perfect sign to have emblazoned on my forehead, what else it there? Pi symbolizes an endless calculation, and I am forever contemplating, analyzing, calculating, drawing my brows together in serious thought... So I've gained a new perspective. Those forehead wrinkles are my think-too-much wrinkles. I can live with those.

No comments: