Monday, May 20, 2013

Making the Morning Rounds

Every morning after I've managed to get the kids to school, I make the morning rounds to feed the animals and check on things around the farm. It's one of my favorite parts of the day.
 
Usually, my first stop after I feed Jane the rabbit is to check on the three Polish chicks we have in the little coop. I love these little birds. Polish chickens first won my heart when I visited the Seed Savers farm in Decorah, Iowa four years ago. We've had buff-laced and white, but these tan and blacks are probably my favorite.
 Next, I wander over to the chicken coop where the big flock of chickens and ducks assault me. It is imperative that I throw out some scratch for them so that I am not harassed when I try to fill the meat-birds and other chickens' feeders.

That done, I take a peek on top of the chicken coop. Several weeks ago, after replenishing the top with some soil, I threw down some moss rose seed in hopes that I could get some sort of plants established up there. I neglected my green roof last year when we had the dry spell, and most of the sedum I had planted failed to survive the abuse. Happily, the moss rose seeds are taking off, as well as some weed seed that was in the dirt. Below is a (lousy) photo of a section I had just weeded.
Inside the coop, Isadora is sticking to her nest. We might have some baby chicks by the end of the week, although I am not sure how many of her original eggs were fertilized. I candled the one egg I knew was hers, but it was not viable, so I had to throw it out. Also, a few other eggs were laid in the nest by other chickens later when she was taking a break, so I don't know what will happen if some hatch out and others need more time...
 After all the animals are taken care of today, I took a peek inside the house. We have gotten a little over half the wiring pulled on the main level. The electrical feels like a big deal. As soon as it's all pulled in, we can get the rough-in inspection, and from there, it feels like we will be over the hill with the end in sight!
 Out the front of the house and over to the plot that will some day be an amazing perennial garden. My plan is to have dwarf fruit trees in each of the gardens four corners. So far, I only have one peach tree that Mom and I found on clearance at Tractor Supply last fall. We were shocked to see that it already is producing.
Back to the house for a cup of coffee, and then the day really begins.

No comments: