Monday, June 3, 2013

Don't Mess With a Man's Birds

The war is on.

We lost four of our ten ducks over the past two months, and recently lost two of Chris's favorite chickens: a white silkie and little Polish rooster. He said if Lizzy, the one black and tan Polish hen we have, goes missing, well... Lets just say I can imagine him sitting on top of the stable in the early morning, just waiting for the fox to show his tail.

But those little buggers sure are sneaky. Last week, I walked up to the mail box, and as I turned to walk back down the drive, I just caught sight of the fox disappearing into the woods. As I walked  down to investigate, I heard a noise in the dry leaves just to my right, but couldn't see anything. When I got to the spot where I saw the fox enter the trees, I turned around, and there he was, standing about 50 yards up the drive, watching me.

We've had the big live trap set up with hot dogs for a few days, and for two days in a row, the trap was sprung with no animal inside, and we could see where an animal had been digging around the outside trying to get to the hot dogs.

Chris always takes a little walk in the morning before he heads to work, and this morning, looking out a window of the new house, he saw the fox out by my berry patch. He stepped onto the front porch and managed to snap a picture before the fox ran off.
We did catch one fox earlier this year. We had hoped that after catching her, her mate would have left the area in search of company, but I guess he didn't. Well, Mr. Fox, you have been put on notice. This is what will happen if you don't leave our birds alone.
I suggest you eat from the plentiful rabbits we have in the area. Do so and we could be friends instead of enemies.

No comments: