Thursday, June 27, 2013

Late June

It's hot out there, folks. So today, I've been piddling. This morning, I actually paid a little attention to my garden.  The grass around it was getting high, so I got the push mower out and mowed it down. I also mowed around some of the tractor equipment that sits out next to the shop to clear the path to the compost bin. Then I decided to take the protective wire from around the nearby tulip poplar, and mow the jungle growing beneath that. By that point, I was a little winded and sweating, and although I could have push mowed one hundred random spots around the farm that needed it, I went inside and got myself of iced tea and cooled off for a minute.

Next, I went to the garden and pulled the weeds around my green beans. (Which reminds me, I need to pick some.) And, although we got a smattering of rain last night, the soil was dry and dusty, so I watered them. The rest of the garden is in desperate need of weeding as well, but by this point, I was hot, so I went inside and got a glass of iced tea and cooled off.

After picking Finley up from her friend's sleepover, I decided it was high time somebody did some weed-eating along the fence line that borders the driveway. A half an hour later, dripping with sweat, red with the heat, and aching in my arms, I went inside to cool off. This time, a cool, damp wash cloth was used to wipe the sweat off before I sat down with another glass of iced tea.

I didn't want to weed-eat or anything, but I sure didn't want to do laundry, so I thought it would be a good time to do some surgery on the bush hogs. We have one solid bush hog with a broken gear box, and another with a beat-up body and a good gear box, so the plan is to put the good gear box on the good body. I got the tractor out and flipped one over to get at the nut holding the blades on. (I tell you what, I love the power tools and big equipment that lets me do things I wouldn't be able to do with out them - like flipping a 300 pound piece of machinery over.) Once I got it flipped over, I discovered I probably wouldn't be able to get that nut off without the right sized socket, so I went inside to have another glass of iced tea and cool off.
I think I'll stay inside for a while. Z need some help building a cell phone out of Legos.

No comments: