Thursday, December 5, 2013

Finley

"Do you really want to wear your hair that?" I asked when she emerged from her room on picture re-take day. Her hair was normal in the first photo she had taken at school, but somehow she managed to be bug-eyed, like she was trying to see if her eyes would fall out if she just opened her eyelids wide enough. But this day, she opted for the side-of-the-head ponytail. "I like it this way," she said. And so I let it go, wondering if she will like this photo six years from now.

Of course, most days, she doesn't want even want to brush her hair. "Brush you hair, Finley," I will order her when I see the tangled mess. "Why?" she asks. "So that you will look nice," I say. "Why do I need to look nice?" she asks. Usually I only answer that question in my head. So that no one will think I'm a negligent mother. This is where I finally understand my mother when she would exclaim to me, "People will think you're an orphan!" But, really, what does it matter? I make her brush it anyway.

Some days Most days, I am amazed at who Finley is turning out to be. It's those moments when they don't know you are watching, and you get to see who your kids really are without parental interference...

A few weeks ago, we had a little girl visit. It was Kinzee's first time at our place. She was a first-grader, younger than Joe, but Finley was excited as ever to have a friend to play with. Finley decided to give her the tour of the farm, and all the kids took off running. They hit the play-set first, swinging and climbing for just a moment. Then Finley wanted to show her the berry patch, and off they all ran again. Next came the big pond. The "nature club" (a play area under some trees) was next, but by this time, Zivah was tired and couldn't keep up. Halfway to the nature club (about 50 yards or so), she just stopped while the rest of the kids ran on to the club.

I watched for a minute to see what would happen. I was far enough away that I couldn't hear her, but I could tell that Z was probably crying, so I started walking over. Finley, upon arriving at the club, looked around and noticed that Z wasn't there. She finally spotted Z, then rallied Kinzee and Joe, "Come on!" she yelled, "We need to see what's wrong with Z!" And she took off running back up through the pasture. Upon inquiry, Z sobbed that she had been left behind, and then Finley put her arm around Z and they all walked down to the nature club together.

Know what else makes my heart swell? She wants a truck when she grows up, and she wants a dirt-road driveway (not even gravel) so that the mud will kick up onto the truck to get it dirty. She says trucks looks cooler that way.

[For a glimpse at one of her riding lessons, click here.]

No comments: