Tuesday, December 3, 2013

More drywall...

I thought putting up insulation would be the most miserable thing I would do at this stage of the game, but I was wrong.

Chris finished all but two sheets of drywall on the main floor of the house over the Thanksgiving break. Our neighbor, Terry had helped hang all the ceiling and upper walls, then took a well deserved break from us to hunt and spend time with his family. All that is left downstairs is covered up by drywall that needs to go upstairs.

While Chris worked on drywall, I worked on framing out another cubby area upstairs and building temporary doors for the crawl spaces under the roof in an attempt to keep the cold wind from blowing in and sucking out all the heat. When that was finished, we decided to start on the drywall upstairs.

We figured we'd better work on some of the smaller, less convenient areas that Terry would probably not like to work in, so we slapped some drywall up in "the secret passage," then moved on to the cubby in Z's room. I'll tell you what: trying to hang drywall over your head on an over-insulated slant is enough to make a saint grumpy. Or so I tell myself.

I will spare you the details. I don't want to work myself into a bad mood remembering. I will just show you a picture of my finger with the scuffs and small, metal splinters it suffered from the day's work. I know it doesn't look all that bad, but nothing makes you want to cuss more than a drill slipping off a screw and slamming into your finger. I take that back. There are things. But it didn't feel like it at the time.
In the end, we got it finished.

The upstairs is going to take a lot longer with all its crazy corners and angles. I am just daydreaming about the time when the mud and paint is finished and I can start on flooring and trim work. That will be fun.

No comments: