Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sleuthing on the Farm

One day last week, Finley brought me a small, brown egg she found in the chicken coop. I was baffled. All of the hens that roost in that coop are older and tend to lay normal-sized eggs. I had been expecting our young hens to lay in the stable, since that is where they sleep at night. Also, the stable has it's own nesting box with a golf ball decoy that has been waiting patiently for some one to make use of it.

In order to solve the mystery, I planted our game camera just inside the door of the coop, pointed at the corner where the eggs have been found. Day One left us without an egg and without answers. Day Two yielded some thirty photos, mostly of a chicken's rear end:
 But one shot revealed the culprit:

I am pretty sure this is one of my two Buff Orpingtons, sneaking into the old ladies' coop to lay her eggs.

*Note to self: Fix rear coop window to allow for better lighting.

1 comment:

Kohana said...

That last shot totally looks like a paparazzi shot of a celebrity meltdown or something. "Orpington caught laying illicit eggs!" The headline reads.