Monday, August 25, 2014

The End is Near

 The kids are back in school, and that mean a lot of uninterrupted time to work on the house. The past two weeks, have been focused on the kitchen cabinets, prepping them for paint. My mom spent several days sanding down the doors while I got caught up on laundry and other neglected chores. Once she had most of those knocked out, I started on the cabinets themselves.
 The base of the cabinet where the sink is to go had seen better days. Aside from the large hole cut in the floor of the cabinet, some of the particle board was rotten, and a large spot of dried black mold adorned the underside. Chris' original idea was to cover the floor of the cabinet with 1/4" plywood, but I didn't like the idea of knowing that mold was under there.
 I carefully took the cabinet apart, rebuilt the support base, and installed fresh, new wood on the floor.
 Next, I wanted to modify a cabinet that will sit next to the range. I took out the shelf and installed dividers so I can easily store my baking sheets and cutting boards.
Another cabinet base that was used for a counter-top stove also had holes in its floor, so I replaced that. And it had the perfect space ready for a large drawer. I figured I'd better take the time to build the drawer now, as installing one after the counter tops were in would make the process a lot more difficult.

As I was using our table saw to cut precision-sized grooves to hold the base of the drawer, I realized how happy I felt. There is a satisfaction and joy that comes with building something, and building it well... I can't wait to get started on the growing list of things I want to build once we are in the house.
 The face of the drawer will be put on after the painting is done.
 Meanwhile, in another part of the house, Chris laid the tile in the last bathroom this weekend, and installed all the fixtures. All three bathroom are up and running.
As soon as the cabinets are painted, we can lay the hardwood, install the cabinets and some counter tops, then, maybe, just maybe, we can move in!

No comments: