Friday, May 22, 2015

My Buddy

Joe was feeling a little left out, what with all the awards and attention Finley and Z were getting. Today, I have good reason bang the gong loudly in his honor.

We went to pick up report cards today, and Joe made the 'A Honor Roll' for the first time this year. This, after the worrisome parent-teacher conference at the beginning of the school year. At that time, the teacher told me I should consider getting him 'tested'. He kept getting in trouble for playing with things in his desk. If only he could really focus, she told me, he would be an excellent student.

I wasn't really worried about Joe's ability to focus or learn. Joe was the toddler who would sit and play with one thing for long periods of time, determined to master whatever skill it was that toy required; I just figured Joe was one of those kinesthetic learners who did his best when he was moving. I was, however, worried about him getting trouble all the time. So I decided not to get him tested and just let things play out. If there continued to be a problem, I could pull him out to home school.

I never heard anything more after that conference, and his grades held steady. Every grading period, his teacher made the class set goals for the next grading period. Joe kept falling short each quarter, so at one point, Joe wanted to lower his goals drastically to make sure he could meet them. "How about we shoot for low A's." He agreed, and this time, he met his goals.

After Joe's teacher gave him a big hug and told Joe how proud she was of him, I asked her if Joe had stopped his fidgeting in class. "I just kind of got used to it," she said. "I learned to check in with him to make sure he was still with us." That sort of thing is what makes her an excellent teacher.








No comments: