Saturday, March 12, 2016

There is nothing quite so wonderful as a sense of peace.

I am relishing in the sound of the light rain on the roof and water trickling out of the downspouts. The windows are open, and 69-degree, fresh air is seeping slowly through the screens.

This morning was all business. We have a handful of quotes to throw together for next week, and with Chris working out in the field most days, there isn't a lot of time to hash out details together. We finally called it quits about lunchtime. Chris headed out to the shop to sort through his stuff, but I decided I needed to immerse myself something more natural.

Wandering around the farm, I discovered the weeping willow had sprouted leaves:

And the peach tree is about to bloom:


I headed to the garden. I had completely neglected it last summer, so the tomato cages still supported long-dead plants in sloppy rows. Yellow grass was thick around the fencing, and a pile of mulch lay hidden beneath brown weeds.  One long, laid-over cabbage stalk held a half-eaten, miniature head on its tip. I pulled up the cages, emptied them of the dead stalks, and lined them up in a corner of the garden. I am wondering if I can whip it into shape this year. It's going to take some work.

But now, it is raining. A good excuse to ignore the politics, business, and busyness of life and just sit.



No comments: