Sunday, January 14, 2007

I skipped church this morning.

Instead, I listened to the radio and happened to upon a radio program I haven't listened to before, and in doing so, found a new hero of the faith: Calvin DeWitt.
Here is the link to the program I heard.
http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/discoveringwherewelive/index.shtml

I had heard a few months ago that Ted Haggard of the National Association of Evangelicals was wanting to add global warming to the NAE's list of concerns. I thought it was about time the environment was a part of the 'religious right's' agenda. However, several big name evangelicals decided it shouldn't be. Here is an excerpt I found in an article from the Washington Post:

Beisner, who helped draft the letter to Haggard from evangelical leaders, said they had feared that the NAE was going "to assume as true certain things that we think are still debatable, such as that global warming is not only real but also almost certainly going to be catastrophically harmful; second, that it is being driven to a significant extent by human activity; and third, that some regime, some international treaty for mandatory reductions in CO2emissions, could make a significant enough drop in global emissions to justify the costs to the human economy."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020102132.html

Which, to me sounds like the religious right cares more about money than they do about God's creation. That makes me ill.

I had come to believe that there were very few Christians and certainly no politically motivated evangelicals out there that cared about our mandate to be stewards of creation. Thankfully, I was wrong. There are a few groups out there, one of which is called the Evangelical Environmental Network.
Here is a link to their website.
http://www.creationcare.org/

Yes, these are the folks that initiated the 'What Would Jesus Drive' campaign (which I admit irritated me), but I encourage you to take a moment and read the delarations page and maybe some of the scripture references. At least it might swing some of the anti-environmentally minded (Dad?) back toward a moderate position.

No comments: