Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lessons

Did you ever notice that when God brings people into our lives, we start to think that it is for their benefit and not necessarily ours? Like marriage. I was doing Chris a favor for letting him marry someone so wonderful as me. And then in the past four years of our marriage, God has shown me how incredibly selfish I am. (Can you believe it?) Yes, God let me get married so that I could grow as a person.
And then I thought we were suppose to have children so that we could love them and teach them how to live.
So tonight I asked Finley to do something simple: Pray for our food. Previously, she had been all too excited to get to pray, but tonight she refused. Okay, I said, Pray with me. I won't, she said. Then I tried to explain to her that Jesus gives us our food, and we need to thank him for it. I won't, she said. I could see that stubbornness building up in her, and eventually she chose to go to bed without her supper.
She went to bed, and I felt horrible, wondering if I had done the right thing. I asked God about it, and he didn't really answer that question... Instead he showed me that she was just following my example. Ouch.
So I learned tonight why it is that God allowed me to have children. I have children so that I have a second chance to learn the lessons I should have learned as a child.

2 comments:

Al said...

I love this wyn... such good perspective.

Anonymous said...

You mean there was more we should have taught you?! The one or two spankings weren't enough?!

Reminds me of the scripture.."A little child shall lead them..."