Monday, April 23, 2007

It's a beautiful day...

It is hovering around 70 degrees and the wind blows the trees every so often. The sky is a bit overcast, and I can tell it wants to rain, but can't quite commit yet.


My four tomato plant in my otherwise empty garden seemed as if they wanted to shivel up and die from just looking at the pale dusty brown earth surrounding them, so while Joe took his morning nap, I took Finley outside. As I opened the doors to the compost bin, a lizard dove beneath some leaves. I had to dig deep to find anything other than dry leaves, since I wasn't too good about turning the leaves this winter, but on the bottom, I struck gardener's gold. The black sludge looked beautiful, as did the fat night crawlers I uncovered here and there. Some things are still right in the world.




So my milk jug covered tomatoes are happier. And I'm happier. And it doesn't end there. I ran by the bank, dropped off some boxes to Salvation Army (where we've started shopping on 50% off Wednesdays and gotten some killer deals on cool clothes), and baked a batch of cookies... all before lunch. Amazing. If I could be this productive (and the kids be relatively content) all the time, I think I could take over the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That mulch is beautiful!....and I'm glad you and the tomato plants had a wonderful day!