Monday, April 2, 2007

Silence

I told you earlier that I borrowed two books about Mother Teresa from the library. One is biographical, and the other written by Mother Teresa. Now known as No Greater Love, its original title was The Mother Teresa Reader, A Life For God. I am only on page 14, but I feel as if I need to stop and read the first ten pages every day for a month.


Unfortunately, I haven't read them but three times, but I had to take a quick break and read Dobson's Strong Willed Child. After a crazy few days with Finley a while back, I just needed some retooling on my parenting strategies. I'm feeling a little wiser now, and also thankful that she's not as strong willed as the examples in the book.


It is no wonder why depression, confusion, and hopelessness so easily infiltrate our lives. The news, the television, that mean guy in Kmart (God bless him), all fighting for our attention and our thoughts...


So here are a few lines from MT:

"In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you. Then you will know you are nothing. It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself.
Silence gives us a new outlook on everything. We need silence to be able to touch souls. The essential thing is not what we say but what God says to us and through us...
Listen in silence, because if your heart is full of other things you cannot hear the voice of God..."

No comments: