Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Birthday Purchases

Yesterday, while Chris took the day off and watch the kids, I got to spend some time out and about by myself. Since I got a gift certificate to Grimey's for my birthday, I went to spend it. Grimey's is located in an old house where the CD and LPs are pack in every nook and cranny they could find. It felt good just walking into the place. It's nice to be someplace so real after shopping on the ethereal web.


Not wanting to waste my purchase on something I wasn't sure would be a worthwhile purchase, I asked for some recommendations. Grimey (I think that's who I talked to...) asked what my last purchase was. I told him Brian Eno. Then when he spotted the bluegrass CD I was tentatively carrying around, he wasn't too sure what to tell me. (By the way, if you would have told me when I was 18 that I would live in Nashville and listen to bluegrass, I would have laughed in your face.)


I ended up with a stack of staff picks to listen through, and spent the next hour listening on a borrowed set of headphones. Television, a 70's punk band (an all-time classic, I was told), and Dungen, brand new from Scandinavia, were both things I would have bought in an instant when I was in my teens and 20s and childless. Amy Wineheart, whom I've heard on the radio, was also recommended, but too crass. And besides... I'd rather buy the Verve Remixed CDs, which I bet is where she got her gimmick from.


So I ended up with Uncle Earl and Wilco. The first song on the Uncle Earl CD sounded so... joyful. To catch a glimpse of them click here and here. The verdict is still out on Wilco, who I hear lots of folks rave about. It such a bad name for a band, but after listening to a few songs, I knew my kids at least wouldn't get into some funky mood when I played their music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wendy, this is kerry greer. your mama told me to check out your page. sometimes i do. you are grown up. and way clever but that's not new. i hadn't read a novel since 1992 until recently and i also hadn't listened to much besides bocelli (it calms the soul). but i did listen to uncle earl and i really liked that. i especially liked the clips where they sang old hymns and the keys to the kingdom. since you know so much i wonder if you would recommend some group to me. i wish i could listen to the keys to the kingdom but it is not on either of their cds. i used to always listen to irish and so i like the mix. wendy i'm encouraged by your posts. i'll keep sneaking up on you once in a while!