Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Not a Baker

Since I didn't do anything special for Chris on his birthday (which was Monday), yesterday, I thought I'd better bake him a cake. Especially since one of Finley's favorite stories is about a bear that comes to our house and bakes a cake for somebody's birthday.


Not being too fond of cake mixes these days and feeling ambitious, I found a recipe for German Chocolate cake. Sounded good. I whipped up some chocolate frosting and coconut filing, then dove into the cake making itself.


A couple years ago, I tried to do a layer cake for Chris, but it split open on top because I didn't cut the bottom layer to be flat... For Finley's 2nd birthday, I made an angel food cake. Her cake was pathetic as well. Droopy (I didn't let it cool long enough?) and a sick Pepto-pink color.


You'd think I'd learn. But after seeing the fabulous Veggie Tales cake I saw at a recent birthday party, I thought a simple layer cake would be... well... a piece of cake.


Everything went well until I tried to get the cakes out of the pans. Even though I had greased and floured as the recipe suggested, they stuck as if I had used Liquid Nails. No amount of coersion or threatening could get them out in one piece...


So Chris got a cake in a bowl... I threw a chunk of cake in, poured on some filling, threw in more cake, topped it with the frosting... Wa-La.

At least it tastes good.

No comments: