Sunday, September 2, 2007

Politics

If there is one thing that makes me crazy, it is politics. As this country is (supposedly) a democracy, I recognize my obligation as a responsible citizen to vote. I hate doing it. It is not easy.


Part of the reason I would not ever make a good salesman is the fact that I have the (dare I say it?) gift of analyzation and criticism. When I worked at Mail Boxes Etc., I had the hardest time not telling people that they would do better to drive the extra two miles to the post office to buy their stamps and mail their packages. If I am selling someone a car, I am anxious to point out all the defects as well as what I liked about the vehicle so that the buyer can make an informed decision.


When I prepare to vote, I try to inform myself about the candidates so that I can make the best decision. Unfortunately, most of the time, after listening to debates and comparing the candidates values to mine, I rarely feel that I can wholeheartedly throw my support behind one of them. Then it becomes that horrible game of pick the lesser of the evils for me.


The latest 'oportunity' for me to exercise my right to vote is Nashville's mayoral race. The run-off election is next week, so we have been inundated with campaign ads. Yesterday, we got an ad in the mail for Bob Clement. It made me want to dope slap the man. Here is a Clement quote printed on the ad:

"I believe we must hold Nashville public schools strictly accountable for their performance, with no excuses accepted."


Why is it that no one will say out loud that unless students get the support and encouragement they need from home, they will continue to struggle in school?


It goes on to state that he 'knows a good education helps build strong families by creating economic opportunity...' blah, blah, blah.


Isn't that a little backwards? I thought is was the family that instilled the value of education and a good work ethic into its children.


For once I would like to see a candidate that was honest and would simply say, 'This is a complicated issue with no easy answer.'

No comments: