Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Straight Story

I know not all of you that read this blog check my movie review blog, so I decided to review this film here as well. The Straight Story is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I expect every single one of you out there to hunt this movie down from the library, netflix, or your neighborhood movie rental place.


I first saw this film back when I had Christi for a roommate. She needed to take a nap, but got so drawn in to the movie that she got mad and had to leave the room to take her nap.





It is based on the true story of Alvin Straight, an aging man who realizes he needs to make amends with the brother he hadn't spoken to in 10 years. He drives a lawn tractor across rural Iowa to make the trip.





I know many of you may not be as endeared to corn fields and tractors as I am, but I guarantee you that you will like the movie anyway. And if you aren't on the verge of at least one tear by the end of it, well, I'll be stumped.





For those of you with younger children, although this movie is rated G, there is one scene with a bit of old-man cussing. (It reminded me of my great uncle Babe, who like to throw G-d and hell around quite a bit.)

2 comments:

Lori said...

We saw this movie! I think we rented it from Netflix. You're right. It's SO worth seeing. James and I both agree (and we don't always agree on movies).

Anonymous said...

And isn't the soundtrack fantastique!?