Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hand of Provision?

Today, I stopped in at the grocery store to pick up a few 'necessities.' One of these is, for my husband, "rich, chocolaty" Ovaltine. As I went to grab a container from the shelf, I noticed, to my horror, that the price had gone up from $3.69 to $3.99. I know this is nothing compared to the rising gas prices, but for some reason, the rising Ovaltine price, combined with the rising milk price, affected me more.

Hearing all the news stories lately, and feeling a little stressed in my own pocketbook due to all of the things going on in the Knight household these days, I immediately started thinking about all the sacrifices we will have to make if things get 'worse.' We will have to cut back on ice-cream. Chris might not get to drink his Ovaltine. The kids might have to get used to eating lentils, and we might have to experience the feeling of hunger a little more. Or [gasp] we might even have to cancel our internet service. Things aren't looking so good, I thought to myself. I wish I had an acre sized garden... and that I could actually grow a decent crop of veggies...

On the drive home, I realized some of this overreaction might be related to the pregnant hormones coursing through my veins, coupled with the fact that I can't seem to eat enough to really feel satisfied and the fact that I am not sleeping well... But this didn't make me feel any better.

At home, I put away the groceries, fixed the kids a bite to eat, then went downstairs to check my e-mail. One of the three e-mails was from Amazon.com, notifying me that a 5-pack of Ovaltine was now available for sale at the price of $17.44 ($3.49/can) and is eligible for super-saver shipping. God is laughing at me. I guess I'd better laugh with him.

2 comments:

Shyla said...

ha ha ha :o)
gotta love that bulk shopping!
in a reverse of the situation, i've been all excited about the amazon subscrition stuff, free shipping, etc. particularly for the special k red berries that i like, so i stocked up. this week, it was on sale buy one get one free at publix. oh well.

Anonymous said...

Haha!