Wednesday, April 2, 2008

For the Love of...

Elastic.

About six (or more?) years ago, I received a pair of Carhartts for Christmas. They were the rusty-orange colored, work jeans that don't really match anything. I loved them. By the time I had Finley, I had broken them in so much so that they were tan, and were so soft, you would mistake them for fine flannel if your eyes were closed.

It took me a while after Finley was born for them to fit properly again, and I was happy when then did.

Then Joe came along. Once again, I started dreaming of the day when I could wear my favorite jeans again. Months went by, and I finally got the courage to try them on. They didn't feel quite right, so I waited a few more months, then tried again. Slowly, the realization hit me: I am not the same. Internal somethings must have shifted. Other somethings must not have tightened back up all the way. Something... I have a pile of clothes that I stare at and wonder if it is possible if I could ever fit into them again. I can hardly bear the thought of giving them away... or should I say, trashing them (since most of them are worn to the point that no one else would wear them).

Now, with this third pregnancy, even clothes I remember wearing comfortably with the first two don't seem to feel right, and typical pregnancy clothes don't normally fit me well either. Now, I dream of elastic. I fantasize about finding pants with elastic waist bands cool enough that no one would suspect what they really are. Now, I wear overalls, and disillusion myself with the thought that someday, maybe with intense pilates and yoga workouts, I'll be wearing my Carhartts comfortably again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother Nature is not done with you yet...wait until you hit "old age"! I'm still not used to sitting down and having my boobs rest on my stomach! Auk!
The good news is that new clothes help keep the economy moving...?!

Anonymous said...

Ah, this had me laughing. Silently. Internally. My kids are sleeping.