Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Midweek Update

Some things are very predictable. Nearly every time we drive through the neighborhood to our house, I hit a certain tree branch with the windshield of the van. Every single time, Joe says, "What was that?"
Some things should be predictable. I let Finley make her sandwich today. I did not watch over her shoulder. Halfway through spreading the jam, she told me she had been licking the knife after every swipe.
Some things are not predictable. There hasn't been much non-predictableness lately.
Above is another abstract of Finley's, inspired by the new box of crayons.
Last week, the weather was beautiful, so I took advantage of it and built three raised-bed frames out of some old treated lumber we had lying around. Then I borrowed the neighbor's mower, mowed up some leaves, and dug them into the soil in the boxes I placed in the garden. This was after I meticulously dug up and pulled out all the Bermuda grass from the area the far box is sitting on. I topped the boxes off with more shredded leaves to prevent any weed seeds from sprouting over the winter as they are prone to do here in the south. I still have some lettuce growing, and should probably eat some salad before it freezes.
We also borrowed the neighbor's tiller and tilled up the rest of the garden and reseeded it with some rye grass. If we put the house on the market, I want there to be a small, nice, manageable garden... not an overwhelming trash plot.
The weather is starting to turn chilly. Maybe I can get some artwork done if we are forced inside. I have some ideas bouncing around in my head. It would be nice to have a chance to get them out...

No comments: