Thursday, November 19, 2009

NASCAR

The thing about having kids is that you end up paying attention to things you probably never would have otherwise.

We love Pixar movies. We loved Cars. Joe loved Cars. We ended up with a fleet of Cars cars. So it wasn't a big surprise when, one day, Chris happened upon a real NASCAR race on TV this past spring and Joe begged to watch it. April in Talledega. One big (scary) crash. Jimmie Johnson wins. Result: One three-year-old Jimmie Johnson fan.
It doesn't matter where we go. If Joe sees a Lowe's or a 4 anywhere on a sign, he asks if that is Jimmie Johnson. On Sundays, when we are trying to watch a football game, Joe is begging to watch racing.
My respect for sports is growing. Before I paid attention, I thought football was guys piling up on each other down after down with a few passes here and there. I am just beginning to understand the strategy and thought that goes into it all. Good football players are smart. Racing is not just a car tearing around the track...
I still wonder sometimes how it is we can spend so much money just for the sake of winning and entertainment, but regardless, I'm letting myself get sucked in. A few weeks ago, when the 48 car got tangled up in a crash on the third lap, well... I guess I'll admit there is more than just one NASCAR fan in the house.

No comments: