Thursday, August 5, 2010

School Daze

Tomorrow is Finley's first day of school- public school, and I am in a daze.



For many years, I've been surrounded by many amazing moms that home school, and I really wanted to be one of them. But by the end of last year, I realized a few things: 1. Finley and I don't click in a good teacher/student way. Trying to be fun enough for Finley to want to try to learn what I was trying to teach her was so exhausting that, well, let's just say that I really couldn't handle much of it. 2. Finley needs people other than just me. One day when I dropped Finley off for her enrichment classes, a lady walked up and gave Finley a big hug and told her she was so glad to see one of her favorite kids. Finley lit up. And a light went on for me... I don't have to try to be the sole provider of all of Finley's emotional needs. No one person can give us what we need. That's why God has us in a variety of relationships...


So when we found a property zoned for a school that gets rave reviews from everyone I ran into, I didn't find it hard to make the decision to send her to school here. I felt relief and peace.


I am curious to see what the dynamic will be around here with Finley gone all day...


Next year, Joe will be old enough to go to kindergarten, but I can't say that I'll be ready to sign him up. Joe has such a different personality than Finley, that I don't think home schooling would be quite the same struggle. Joe tends to make things fun for himself. And I don't get the sense that he is hungry for more social interaction than what he gets at home. In fact, thinking of sending him away to school all day puts a queer feeling in my heart. So we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you've written because it reminds me of how different we all are and how we all affect each other differently. Isn't God soooo creative?! And isn't Motherhood the best, yet more challenging, occupation?!