Saturday, July 31, 2010


This is a picture of my brother, Mike, taking a ride with my grandfather on his riding lawn mower. You might be able to tell from the look on Mike's face... getting the chance to drive such a machine was a thrill for us. I must have only been two or three at the time, but I got my chance to 'drive' the mower as well. I remember my brothers jumping in front of the path of the mower, acting like I would run them over. And I remember steering it straight into the hedge.
Sometimes I can hardly believe that my kids are getting the chance to experience such wonderful things as well. After a small amount of begging on the kids' part, I started letting Finley and Joe 'drive' me around The Funny Farm. Finley was the first to have the chance. We set off down the driveway to check the mail, and I had to jerk the steering wheel a couple of times to save us from the wild roses growing along the fence, but soon, she got the hang of it, and I was able to sit back and bask in the aura of excitement and autonomy that was radiating from Finley.
I really enjoy these trips to the mailbox. As I watch the scenery slide slowly by, I am reminded of The Straight Story, one of my favorite movies, and I am tempted to let Joe drive right past the mail box and keep on going. But I don't think my Craftsman would make it very far.

No comments: