Thursday, May 12, 2011

It's hard to believe that a week and a day ago, I was worried about the tomatoes possibly getting bit by frost. It's hot out there.

And thanks to all that rain we got, the mosquitoes are terrible. In the morning, when we pile into the van to take Fin to school, the mosquitoes pile in with us, and I swerve down the driveway as I try to swat them to death before they can bite.

The breezy, hot afternoons force the bugs into hiding, so I wandered out to the garden this afternoon to see what I could see. My peas are standing three feet and higher, pods developing beneath countless wilting, purple flowers. I pulled one off to eat, the peas barely beginning to makes bumps in the outer shell. It wasn't quite as sweet as I anticipated, but maybe that will come as they come closer to maturity?

My two rows of bush beans didn't germinate very well. I am deciding whether or not to plant more.

Still haven't finished thinning out the lettuce, but I am not brave enough to face the mosquitoes. With this heat, I wouldn't bee to surprised if the lettuce decided to go ahead and bolt and get life over with.

I was gifted with a load of mixed decomposing goat and chicken manure and hay. I'm going to try just a bit around some plants before I cover the whole garden just to make sure it won't burn anything.

No comments: