Thursday, December 22, 2011

Comic Relief


Our cat, Max
It's been a rough few weeks, with sickness on top of sickness, Z with a head injury, and more trips to doctors than I care to think about, all on top of the busyness of the holidays... It's times like this when a little comic relief is welcome and helps snap you out of a negative train of thought.

One of the greatest things about living out in the country and having animals is that they provide some great comic relief. For example: the chickens must see me as the food fairy, because every time I go outside, they all come running and follow me around until I feed them or they are convinced that I won't. Today, I walked into the playroom, and a chicken saw me through the window and came running up to trailer. Silly chicken.

This summer, Chris and I were having an argument and resolution didn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon. It was a dark night, so I went outside to sit and look up at the stars and try to get my emotions under control. After a while, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye, and I looked to find not ten feet away from me, a skunk. I scrambled up out of my chair, away from the skunk, and back to the trailer as fast as I could. I grabbed a flashlight, and Chris and I, reunited with purpose, went searching for the skunk.

Another night, I was frustrated about some random thing. I walked through the kitchen and saw Bruno, our (former) beast of a rooster, framed by the black night, staring at me through the kitchen window. It was so out of of the ordinary, it made me laugh. And (somehow) made me realize that most of the time, the things I get all bent out of shape about aren't that big of a deal.

No comments: