Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Berry Patch Soil Test

I went out last week under the threat of rain to stake out the area for my berry patch. Yesterday, I collected some samples from the area to test.

I was a little disheartened as I took my sample back to the trailer. The soil looked like pathetic lumps of clay, and when I mixed it with some water, things looked even less promising. The clay particles suspended themselves in the water, and still, after 24 hours, refused to let gravity pull them down to the bottom of the bowl. Ideally, after the initial stirring, the soil settles to the bottom, and you have  nice, clear water to test. Mine looked more like... well... really dirty water.

I tried nitrogen (middle container in photo below) first. The chemical powder that is added to the test sample bonded with the clay particles and sank to the bottom. I could see no color change. Apparently, the soil is deficient. Fortunately, our rabbit and chickens are hard at work turning food into nice, little nitrogen-packed packages I've been mixing into the compost all year.

Next up was phosphorus (on left). Apparently, I have an 'adequate' amount of phosphorus. For now. Potash (right) is 'sufficient'. And, as I suspected, the soil could really use a boost of acidity to make my future blueberries happy.

Maybe, this weekend, it will be warm enough and dry enough to start working the soil.

No comments: