Monday, February 27, 2012

The Hatching

Friday, eggs started wiggling in the incubator. I thought the hatching would happen soon after, but oh, how wrong I was. Friday afternoon and Saturday was pure agony for me. Every five minutes, I would check the incubator to see if there was any progress. Finally, Saturday afternoon, I began to see pip marks on a few of the eggs. I went to bed Saturday night thinking that just maybe we would end up with no chicks at all. But at one o'clock in the morning, the first chick broke out. From that point on, we had chicks hatching continually. Here are a few of the photos I took:
the chick breaks around the circumference of the egg so it can break the end out of the egg

a little wing popping out

taking a break mid-struggle


the kids named one of the three black chicks. this may or may not be 'Rockstar'


We've had chicks peeping in the house for the past two nights, and needless to say, I haven't slept well. Today, I moved all but the late-hatchers out to the shop. Maybe tonight I will sleep peacefully.

This afternoon, while giving  the chicken coop got a badly-needed cleaning, I realized there just isn't room in that one for the addition of 23 chickens- even for the short term. We're either going to have to build an addition or get the stable cleaned out to make a secondary coop there... And I need to get that chicken plucker built...

No comments: